[linux-dvb] Re: Fw: Re: Poll problem with multiple PIDs

On 19 Jun 2002 <mocm@metzlerbros.de> wrote:

> Stefan Huelswitt writes:
> > On 19 Jun 2002 <mocm@metzlerbros.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Well, polling doesn't make sense in blocking mode, so nonblocking is
> > > kind of necessary.
> >
> > Sure? With poll() in blocking mode I can use the timeout feature
> > which isn't available with a simple read(). Or am I wrong?
> >

> You confuse the blocking done by poll and the blocking mode used for
> read/write.

I think I did understand it correctly.

What I tried to say is, that a poll can make sense even in
blocking mode as the poll will return after timeout if no data is
available and the program continues while a read would block
indefinitely.

--
Stefan Huelswitt
huels@iname.com  | http://home.pages.de/~nathan