[linux-dvb] Re: Newby, channels.conf, ARM-stuff

Jeremy Hall writes:
 > In the new year, mocm@metzlerbros.de wrote:
 > > Benjamin Forgeau writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > 	Hi You All,
 > >  >
 > >  > 	What about this ARM stuff in gnufirm?? Do I have an ARM-processor on
 > >  > my card (a quick look at the components, I did not see anything with
 > >  > "ARM")? If yes, what it is used for? I could not find any clue about
 > >  > this in the libdvb api documentation.
 > >
 > > The av711x has an arm core. This has nothing to do with the libdvb api
 > > since the api is supposed to be hardware independent. The stuff in
 > > gnufirm is a minimal skeleton for writing an ARM application for the
 > > AV7110 on a  Siemens/Technotrend/Hauppauge DVB-S board. It does not
 > > provide any functionality yet. Just as it states in the README file in
 > > gnufirm.
 > >
 > Is any active work ongoing about this portion of the driver? Who is

Not by us.

 > currently working on this? What are the priorities / expected time

Nobody I know of.

 > schedule for this to be useful?

No idea.

As explained in the README we cannot work on this because we had
access to information under NDA.
I thought some adventurers programmer could take this simple loader
as a starting point to write his own firmware. It should be no
problem to write a simple program which runs in the AV7110 and
takes commands from the PC. The bigger problem would of course
be to figure out how to talk to the DVB hardware so that these
commands can actually do something useful ...

Ralph