[linux-dvb] Re: old driver: 125 secs, new driver: 4 secs

Hanno Mueller writes:
 > No, but I use the Matrox framebuffer, see the output of lsmod at the
 > beginning of my previous report.

OK, we also had such problem with the Matrox drivers once (1 or 2
years ago, we use an old Voodoo3 now). When the DVB driver registers
the I2C bus of the SAA7146 the Matrox driver looks for their chips on
the wrong I2C bus and hangs for a very long time when it does not find
them. It is a problem in the Matrox driver.

 > How can I tell the driver which bus to look on? If I can change that, this
 > might solve the problem.

That's one of the problems with the general I2C drivers. One cannot
easily specify which bus should use which drivers. A general problem
with I2C is that is next to impossible to exactly identify or tell
apart I2C chips which use the same address ranges.

The NEWSTRUCT drivers use their own I2C driver registry which is only for DVB
devices. That's not compatible with the kernel I2C drivers but more
reliable and manageable inside the DVB driver package.

Ralph