[linux-dvb] Re: Problem with DVB drivers and Video card

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:13:52AM +0200, Samuel Torton wrote:
> I still have problem for installing DVB drivers on my linux box.
>
> Satellite dish:	pointed to Astra 1G
> Card:			Hauppauge WinTV Nova PCI
> Chipset:		Intel i815 (on motherboard)
> OS:			Debian 3.0
> Kernel:		2.4.18
>

> First problem:
> --------------
> I tried to follow your instructions using CVS server.
> Download seems to fail, so I used the package from there:
> http://www.linuxdvb.tv/download/dvb-20020725.tar.bz2
>
> I read "INSTALL" file, but I don't really understand some of the
> instructions in it:
>
> >  You have to have the i2c and videodev drivers enabled
> >  in your kernel to use the DVB driver.
>
> I can't find these options in "make xconfig".
> Where do I have to enable these drivers in the config interface ?

i2c is in
  'Character Devices' -> 'I2C support'.

I've got "I2C support", "I2C bit-banging interfaces", "I2C device
interface" and "I2C /proc interface" selected. Don't know if you need
all of those.

videodev is in
  'Multimedia Devices'
Select "Video For Linux" -- I don't think you need to select anything
else to get videodev.  Possibly 'Multimedia Devices' -> 'Video For
Linux' -> "V4L information in proc filesystem" (which is the only
other thing I have selected in the Multimedia Devices section)

> And, before installing any application (dvbtune, etc...), how can I
> confirm my drivers are OK ?
> "lsmod" command line ?

You should get useful output to syslog (check with dmesg maybe, or
tail /var/log/messages) telling you that the dvb devices have been
detected.

> Second problem:
> ---------------
> Intel i815 chipset is very bad supported by Xfree 3.3.6 on Debian
> distribution. Has anybody ever tried to configure such a card with XFree
> and Debian ?

i815 support is a lot better in Xfree 4.x . Try installing the Xfree4
debs. If you're still on Debian 2.2 then upgrading to 3.0 is highly
recommended. (Me, I track unstable, but this isn't for everyone ;-) )

> Sorry for my newbie questions... but I'm OK for writing a full detailed
> "howto for newbies" ;-) when my installation is successfull.

An excellent idea.

cheers,

Phil