[linux-dvb] Re: CAM's and legal stuff

afaik you can't use a smartcard with softcam. The only way to use it is a
illegal way.

Stefan

                    Lauri Tischler
                    <lauri.tischler@ef       To:     Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de>
                    ore.fi>                  cc:     linux-dvb@linuxtv.org
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     [linux-dvb] Re: CAM's and legal stuff
                    linux-dvb-bounce@l
                    inuxtv.org

                    01.08.2002 10:41

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> Lauri Tischler wrote:
> >
> > Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> >
> > > AFAIK SoftCAM _can_ be used with an official smart card, but you can
also
> > > run it without one - and that's where it becomes illegal.
> >
> > Kitchen knives _can_ be used to chop familymembers into slices,
> > maybe they should be declared illegal :)

> You're missing the point: if you use a SoftCAM without a valid
subscription,
> you're actually *stealing* from the provider. I'm not saying that theft
would
> be a worse crime than killing somebody, but the fact is that you are
stealing.

True, but that should not make the device itself illegal, just the
wrongfull
use of the device should be made illegal, using it without subscription.

> I always keep wondering why people think they can argue that some actions
are
> not to be considered illegal, just because other illegal actions are also
> possible...

I wonder why people think that if a device could be used illegal way,
it should be considered illegal.

linux-dvb" as subject.