[linux-dvb] Re: CAM's and legal stuff

> Why is SoftCAM considered illegal? As long as official smartcard is used
> to feed the correct keys to WhatEverCAM it should be legal.
> Of cource I can be terribilly wrong, as usual :)
The problem is - despite of the fact that it will be modified to a
(smartcard-)"emulator" soon by 3v1l h4x0rs - that you need a *license* for
the cam, too. We don't have it, and we won't get one (even if we pay a LOT
of $$$) since there are many rules which apply for systems with, say, an
irdeto-license (a closed system, signatures everywhere, system must be
reviewed by the owner of the CA system...). The CAM, of course, contains no
security - but that doesn't matter in this case.

After all it's not a technical problem.

Why do you think CI-modules are soo expensive? because of the $20 chips
inside? not really. (and now somebody should tell me that SCM isn't
interested in piracy - but that's another story.)

felix domke