[linux-dvb] Re: DVB driver crash

Javier Lopez writes:
 > Thanks for your answer. Of course I have tried with valid PIDs, it was the
 > first crashes of my original channel list. Normally I can see the channel
 > for some seconds and then the driver crash. Other times I can see the
 > channel, but when I switch out I get a color change of OSD menu (not always,
 > but if you switch 3 or 4 times it's sure you get this). I have done some
 > tests and my deduction is that. This transponder works perfectly with
 > windows applications, then it seems to be the linux dvb driver. I'm not
 > alone with this, other hispasat users have the same problem.
 > I suppose you don't have the dish oriented to Hispasat and you can not check
 > it with this transponder (now I have not the dish oriented to Astra, but I
 > see at lyngsat a lot of radio channels at Astra 12207-V,  perhaps you can
 > test with this).
 >
 > Do you know if the driver gets the complete list of channels from the
 > transponder, where is saving it, and what part of the code is doing this?
 > (or any other idea for the crash)

I have no problem with Astra 12207-V, but my guess is that the problem is CI
related. The CI code in the firmware is old and buggy and I don't
think anyone is going to fix it. Convergence has moved their CI
handling out of the firmware with only mininmal hooks to the CI hardware.
I don't know what plans they have for releasing any of the code, binary or the
API hooks. In the case of the API they could release a different
firmware which would need a userspace CI stack (transport layer
upward, the rest would be handled by firmware and driver).

Marcus

| mocm@metzlerbros.de            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |