[linux-dvb] DVB API questions

Hi,

can someone elaborate on this issues?

Question 1:

DMX_PES_TYPE_{VIDEO,AUDIO,PCR,TELETEXT} have a special meaning. Allright. But
how to handle the case if someone requests e.g. VIDEO and does not request
OUT_DECODER at the same time.

Do i have to treat the type as DMX_PES_TYPE_OTHER? Is there any special case
to worry about? I've asked Holger about this. And he told me that using
DMX_PES_TYPE_{VIDEO/AUDIO}+DMX_PES_TYPE_OTHER at the same time will result in
a delivery of this stream(s) to the vdr device. Maybe at least ;-) Anything i
need to care of?

What about DMX_PES_TYPE_{PCR,TELETEXT} and not selecting OUT_DECODER?

Question / Proposal 2:

As requested before: OUT_DECODER should be a selectable flag. At the kernel
side it is. But not at the userspace interface.

Problem: If OUT_DECODER is selected the user has no way to select the format
the dmx delivers the data to the decoder. This can cause trouble if a user
wants to see and record a stream. See question 5.

Question 3:

Some dmx'es (at least our) are not capable of delivering the same pid into two
or more feeds at the same time. So this will end into problems if two users
try to catch the same pid.

Does the API handle this case internally or do i as a kernel developer need to
care about it?

Proposal 4:

At present we will cycle all active feeds and check if there is a pid match
and deliver the data to all matching feeds. But it would be nice if the api
will handle that internally and just opens one feed even if there are two or
more users (on the same pid).

Question 5:

What happens if the first user requests PES (feed will deliver PES) and the
secord wants to have plain TS? API handles that? API refuses that? Developer
has to care?

What about the other way round? API? Developer?

Is there any hardware out there that is capable of doing so?

Thanks a lot,
    Florian