[linux-dvb] Re: DVB API questions

Hi,

> Question / Proposal 2:
>
> As requested before: OUT_DECODER should be a selectable flag. At the kernel
> side it is. But not at the userspace interface.
>
> Problem: If OUT_DECODER is selected the user has no way to select the
> format the dmx delivers the data to the decoder. This can cause trouble if
> a user wants to see and record a stream. See question 5.

Addendum 2:

I would like to propose two interfaces which imho fit most (all?) of the
requirements i can think of:

TS_TYPE = Enum {TS_TYPE_TS, TS_TYPE_PES, TS_TYPE_SEC}
PES_TYPE = Enum {PES_TYPE_AUDIO, PES_TYPE_VIDEO, PES_TYPE_PCR,
PES_TYPE_TELETEXT, PES_TYPE_OTHER}
OUTPUT = Bitfield {OUT_DECODER,OUT_DVR,OUT_TAP}

Maybe we need a PES_TYPE_AUDIO_AC3 too?

This was my first shot. Advantage: It's very close to the old way of setting
the types. Disadvantage: It's possible for the user to specifiy silly/invalid
settings like PES_TYPE_PCR + OUT_DVR.

Second shot:

TS_TYPE = Enum {TS_TYPE_TS, TS_TYPE_PES, TS_TYPE_SEC}
OUTPUT = Enum {OUT_DECODER_AUDIO, OUT_DECODER_VIDEO,
OUT_DECODER_PCR,OUT_DECODER_TELETEXT, OUT_DVR_VIDEO, OUT_DVR_AUDIO, OUT_TAP}

This is pretty straight forward and _selfexplanatory_. Which is very good in
the lack of up2date spec ;) But it's a lot more different from the old api. I
dunno if it makes sense to allow one filter to pass data to dvr _and_
decoder. If so then OUTPUT should be a bitfield.

Comments?

Florian