[linux-dvb] Re: DVB API questions

Hi,

> > Problem: If OUT_DECODER is selected the user has no way to select the
> > format the dmx delivers the data to the decoder. This can cause trouble
> > if a user wants to see and record a stream. See question 5.
>
> I don't see a problem here, if the user reads from the
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0 he will get PES packets, if he reads from
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 he will get TS packets.

Yes BUT are are some funny cornercases to care of. E.g. an application wants
to stream and view a pid at the same time. So it makes lots of sense to put
the decoder into the same format which is used to record the stream so you
don't have to do the ts <-> pes converting at all. But thats history since
output type will change.

> > Some dmx'es (at least our) are not capable of delivering the same pid
> > into two or more feeds at the same time. So this will end into problems
> > if two users try to catch the same pid.
> >
> > Does the API handle this case internally or do i as a kernel developer
> > need to care about it?
>
> Hmm, here I'm not sure about the answer - I don't know this part of the
> driver very well. Could you please read the source and try to find this
> out? If the dvb-core can't handle multiple clients on the same PID we
> should definitely introduce this...

Allright. Thats no problem. I just wanted to know wether the api is expected
to handle that. If it does not handle that because it's broken or currently
unimplemented i can fix that. But i needed to know for the design of the
driver wether or not i have to care inside the driver.

> > What happens if the first user requests PES (feed will deliver PES) and
> > the secord wants to have plain TS? API handles that? API refuses that?
> > Developer has to care?
>
> Then you feed TS packets into the Software demultiplexer and the
> dvb-core cares about the rest.

I can expext the api to stop the pes feed, start a new ts feed and from that
feed route the data the the ts client and via soft-dmx to the pes client? Wow
;) Didn't expect that. But well - lets see ;)

Thanks _a lot_!!

Regards,
   Florian