[linux-dvb] Re: Channel database format for dvbsak

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 14:02, Holger Waechtler wrote:

> XML is not less proprietary than everything else, you always define the
> fields on your own - at the end no program will be able to read your
> channel list that does not has explicit support for your format.

Not quite. The actual file format is well standardized, as opposed to
scconf which is as proprietary as they get. To receive something useful
out of scconf files, one has to implement the parser for each
programming language. For XML files, the parser part is already there
(for most languages).

> If you use a tag-based format it's easy to add new fields as well, even
> if I don't understand what you want to do with register values in
> channel lists...

I recall there was some weirdness on the VES1820 values, e.g. different
physical locations and/or different frequencies worked best on different
register values. It'd be useful to set the register values when zapping.

> what about binary dumped and endian-corrected structs with a tag/length
> pair before? This is both extensible and very simple to code.

Hmm. I do have ASN.1 DER encoding and decoding facilities in OpenSC, and
they could easily be migrated to dvbsak. (If you're not familiar with
ASN.1 and DER, see: http://borg.isc.ucsb.edu/aka/Auth/ASN1layman.htm .)
It seems all the three options were equally liked. *sigh* =) I think
I'll implement scconf format for now, and make it modular enough so the
others can be added later.

Cheers,
Juha