[linux-dvb] Re: Channel database format for dvbsak

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 10:55:32PM +0200, Juha Yrjölä wrote:

> Hmm. I do have ASN.1 DER encoding and decoding facilities in OpenSC, and
> they could easily be migrated to dvbsak. (If you're not familiar with
> ASN.1 and DER, see: http://borg.isc.ucsb.edu/aka/Auth/ASN1layman.htm .)
> It seems all the three options were equally liked. *sigh* =) I think
> I'll implement scconf format for now, and make it modular enough so the
> others can be added later.

OK.

I'm not in favour of any particular format, but I don't like
binary formats (including ASN.1), because they are difficult
to view and edit manually. My experience shows that this is quite
important.

Second, if size and speed matters (think of set-top-boxes like
the dbox2), XML is the wrong format.

If you are designing a tagged format, please consider keeping
that tag names short.

Regards,
Johannes