[linux-dvb] Re: Channel database format for dvbsak

Johannes Stezenbach writes:
 > On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 10:55:32PM +0200, Juha Yrjölä wrote:
 > >
 > > Hmm. I do have ASN.1 DER encoding and decoding facilities in OpenSC, and
 > > they could easily be migrated to dvbsak. (If you're not familiar with
 > > ASN.1 and DER, see: http://borg.isc.ucsb.edu/aka/Auth/ASN1layman.htm .)
 > > It seems all the three options were equally liked. *sigh* =) I think
 > > I'll implement scconf format for now, and make it modular enough so the
 > > others can be added later.
 >
 > OK.
 >
 > I'm not in favour of any particular format, but I don't like
 > binary formats (including ASN.1), because they are difficult
 > to view and edit manually. My experience shows that this is quite
 > important.
 >
 > Second, if size and speed matters (think of set-top-boxes like
 > the dbox2), XML is the wrong format.

Not if you parse the xml yourself instead of using some bloated
library. In the libdvb dircetory I implemented xml input for the
output of Dave's channel scanner (sorry forget the name).

 > If you are designing a tagged format, please consider keeping
 > that tag names short.

Which is also in the libdvb.

I am not trying to push libdvb, just pointing out that it has already
been done.

Marcus

| mocm@metzlerbros.de            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |