[linux-dvb] Re: dvb_net behaves oddly (newstruct, HEAD and pre-newstruct-cvsdrivers, Hauppauge Nexus-S)

Hi,

Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm wondering what happened to the module "dvb_net"?
> At first with an very early cvs version (even before
> "newstruct"), dvb_net worked as long as tcpdump was
> running (= promiscous mode), then if you cancelled
> tcpdump, it crashed the system...
>
> Okay, eventually some versions later, still before
> newstruct it locked the channel, received data and did
> ok for _~ 5 minutes_, then no data was received
> anymore... but system did _not_ crash ;)
>
> And now with HEAD (from 20021119), I load dvb_net, run
> dvbtune -n and it crashes the system right after
> dvbtune... Reproducable, fortunately...
> So for a bug report, what info do you need?
> Current cfg is:
>   - Linux 2.4.19
>   - Hauppauge Nexus-S (I believe = V2.1?)
>   - HEAD driver from 2002-11-19
>   - patched dvbtune for supporting head drivers...
>   (cvs from http://freshmeat.net/projects/dvbtools)

please do some debugging, send the stacktrace when running dvbtune in
gdb, send the kernel stacktrace (use "dmesg | ksymoops" to generate this
immediatly after the oops).

> btw: what happened to the "sec" device?

read DVB/doc/HOWTO-use-the-frontend-api

> btw2: What is the current (head) way of getting signal
> strength / etc?

read DVB/doc/HOWTO-use-the-frontend-api

> btw3: Is it enough to hook more secfeeds and
> secfilters to dvb_net to make it receive from multiple
> pids? (I tried to modify the before-newstruct cvs
> driver for that and it did not like that ;))

I don't know the dvb_net.c code well - you'll have to read the source or
contact the original author to determine what needs to be done.

- Holger