[linux-dvb] how to check if video data is available

Hello,
since we do have strange problems with upc, I believe, that
they are sending wrong information within their
stream-headers, e.g. there are up to 4 entries for the same
channel with the same PID but different VID/AID on different
frequencies.

So I wanted to write a little script that tunes to a
frequence and varies the VID/AID/PID until there is video
data available.
I know that this will last a long time, but I don't know how
check this else.
Does anyone know how to do this? Is there a tool to check
whether video/audio data is available?

Thanks for any hint
lg, Gerhard