[linux-dvb] HEAD driver scanning problem

Holger Waechtler wrote:

> Kovacs Balazs wrote:
> > I've found a problem (maybe bug) with HEAD driver (maybe it causes the
> > mplayer bugs also)
>
> it's not a bug, it's the not-disabled-powermanagement. See below.
>
> > When I don't attach an antenne to the DVB card, and start HEAD driver,
> > and after that I start an application which want to tune to a channel,
> > kdvb-fe proccess starts to eat my CPU time, and even after quitting the
> > application which want to tune (dvbtune, scan, vdr ....) the kdvb-fe
> > still eats CPU time, (~50% on my C766) until I restart the driver.
>
> remove the "dvb_shutdown_timeout=0" module parameter from your Makefile
> when insmod'ing the driver or pass a timeout value > 0 to the dvb-core
> module.
>
> Then the kdvb-fe thread will exit after a few seconds and won't try to
> to catch a transponder anymore.

thanks, you're right, it works. when i start vdr it wants to tune a
channel, and kdvb-fe process starting and eating 40-50% of cpu time, but
f.e. mplayer works fine meanwhile.

kdvb-fe thread active until vdr runs and eats CPU time (I checked with
top) , but if I quit vdr kdvb-fe thread exists and free up CPU.

so, it's ok here, where i have an activy with a rev 2.2 card, but
without antenne (for development), but at home, where i have an antenne
and Rev 1.3 card, it won't work. With antenne it won't eat so much CPU
time, but mplayer stalls with HEAD, instead of kdvb-fe thread eats 1-2%
of CPU time. Don't know why.

Another strange thing with rev 1.3: I installed a 2.5.47 kernel with DVB
drivers in it, and won't work stable, I switched back to 2.4.18 kernel,
and make insmod DVB HEAD cvs, then dvbtune doesn't want to open dvb0
network device. Any idea? Maybe the 2.5 kernel modified something
irreversible? (symoops, or something esle, don't know how i can debug)

thx,
basq