[linux-dvb] [RFC] USB DVB design

Hi everybody,

I just added a module called dvb-hw to the LinuxDVB CVS. Inside you'll
find some initial drafts for a EZUSB-FX2 based DVB-T USB receiver.

Frank Neuber was so kind to do the power supply dimensioning and Frank
Rosengart is so nice to check prices and availability of used parts
within the next days.

Finally this device will be able to feed the entire TS over an USB2.0
connection or a TS containing some prefiltered PIDs for low bandwidth
USB1.x hosts.

The firmware will implement PID filters using the GPIF state machine to
align TS packets in the FIFO and the onchip 8051 to inspect the PID
bytes as described in section 10.4 in the EZ-USB FX2 Technical Reference
Manual.

Due to the high power consumtion of the frontend we'll need an external
power supply of about 5...9V/5W. Using other DVB-C/S/T frontends should
be trivial, only minor changes in layout and and power supplies should
be necessairy. If you remove the frontend and the frontend power
supplies entirely you'll get a nice TS source/sniffer.

When no serious design bugs show up we'll order about 10-20PCB's next
week. If anybody of you is interested in building such a device on your
own and help to develop firmware and driver please contact me - we'll
order all parts in quantities of about 10-20pcs.

Everybody of you who has some knowledge of electronics please review the
schematic, watch out for design flaws and things that should be changed.

A copy of the relevant datasheets is in CVS, in directory
dvb-hw/dvbusb-fx2/datasheets/. A first draft of the schematic is in
dvb-hw/dvbusb-fx2/schematic/. I added a rendered Postscript file to
allow you to view the schematic without installing eagle.

Holger