[linux-dvb] Re: [RFC] USB DVB design

Hi Holger,

>the low costs for the PCBs (about 10-20EUR at quantities of 10-20pcs.)
>won't justify the higher effort of a 'universal' PCB design.

I would like to disagree. I have some experience in running electronics
projects (have run more than 20 major projects both as a hobby and
professionally).

I have learnt the hard way that generalism is a good thing indeed and it
really pays of in these kinds of small projects.

In my experience, the major problem here is to make things actually work
properly since we are dealing with (microwave) radio electronics. Tuners
tend to be very picky with noise in the ground and power supplies. In most
cases, if not all, you will have to use proper ground and power planes
(possibly multiple ground/power planes) and very good voltage regulation.
This applies even to monolithitic tuners/front-ends, at least the ones I've
seen.

From your schematics it looks like you are going to use switchregulators to
generate all voltages. I would suggest to make sure that the front-end
_really_ can handle the noise on the power input. You might need to use
linear regulators on some of the more sensitive power rails.

And by the way, what front-ends are you going to use? Any chance there is a
data sheet somewhere?

Best regards
 Sven