[linux-dvb] Re: HEAD driver scanning problem

On 29 Nov 2002 Holger Waechtler <holger@convergence.de> wrote:

>> Holger, I have realized that, when I start mplayer from VDR, it eats the
>> CPU. Only thing that changed with starting driver without
>> "dvb_shutdown_timeout=0" that if VDR quit, kdvb-fe process disappear,
>> and won't eat CPU time after. From command line mplayer works OK. I
>> think this is because VDR wants to tune a channel with the driver, and
>> the driver starts to eat my CPU. Is there any solution?
>
> don't open the frontend device if you don't want to use it.

The VDR mplayer integration is kind of a "hack".

On normal operation VDR keeps the frontend, video and audio
handles open all the time. This seems to cause no problems, even
while replaying.

For mplayer, VDR releases the video and audio handles while
holding frontend. Now starting mplayer, which in turn opens
video and audio handles.

Now frontend and audio/video handles are hold from different
programs. The situation is nearly the same as with VDR replays
(replaying mpeg data without actualy tuning to a channel), but
causes the kdvb-fe process to eat CPU.

--
Stefan Huelswitt
huels@iname.com  | http://home.pages.de/~nathan