[linux-dvb] Re: problems with a mostly lockable signal

Jeremy Hall wrote:
I THINK I am using the stv0299, it talks about finding it in the kernel
initialization. (note: I am using DVB head, for 2.4 kernels)
Then adjust you satellite dish so that you get your signal more stable.

Often times I must unload and reload the driver modules to resolve
this.  Usually by the time I start losing the driver, I am getting many
crunchies in the audio and the words are no longer intelligable.
sure.

I can try to revert that change you committed, but I don't know that it
would help me.
no, it would not since you don't use this tuner.

I also see crashes that are not reported when there is
heavy EPG activity and vdr is used.  for example:

Dish Network transmits two days of EPG on 12486, and I have modified the
SetFilt code in vdr to special-case a TID of 0xff to mean no table filter
at all and to allow all tables on pid 0x12 through.  I experimented with
some of the ``optional'' patches that are supposed to improve interrupt
stability, indeed things are  better, but the driver is still capable of
crashing when vdr is running on a channel that contains all the EPG.  Dish
Network is unique in the States because it has over 1,000 channels worth
of data being transmitted in this way, all with unique individual programs
(from the standpoint of the EPG. they're actually zillions of copies of
the same stuff but they haven't figured out how time shifting descr works
yet)
Please try to find out which parts of those patchsets improve your situation and report.

Holger