[linux-dvb] Re: Status of dvb-kernel vs DVB?

Hello Ragnar,

current CVS head, module DVB/ if you want to watch TV, module dvb-kernel/
if you want to join development.

What is the status of dvb-kernel really? Is it close to on par
with DVB-head?
Here is a short explanation: the driver in the DVB tree is monolithic, ie. it contains the saa7146 and av7110 parts and the modification for the budget cards to run.

The saa7146 part needs all sort of awkward comapt macros, supports
Video4Linux-1 only and is not very well integrated into the upcoming 2.6.x kernel.

So I decided to port it to my new saa7146 driver core, which is modular, supports Video4Linux-2 (and Video4Linux-1 through the kernel compatibility layer) and is very slim and well integrated into the kernel.

The DVB av7110 and the dvb-kernel driver are *exactly* the same -- only the underlying saa7146 driver has changed.

There have been no big changes to the av7110 driver, only necessary things that have to be adjusted to fit the new structure.

Are bug fixes and new features going into both trees or how
does this work work?
Because of the fact that both drivers are essentially the same, bug fixes and features are going into both threes afaik.

I'd like to both have a totally stable system _and_ work with the
driver when I can :-). In my experience, the head DVB driver hasn't
been totally glitch free either, but if I am going to work on a
bug it seems stupid to put the efforts on a driver that is doomed.
If you want to stay with the DVB driver, you don't use a doomed driver. If you fix a bug that's related to the budget or av7110 driver, then it's good for the dvb-kernel driver, too.

On the other hand I don't really want to use a development driver
that has lots of bugs or shortcomings for daily use.
There may be new "bugs" in the saa7146 driver -- things that have been fixed in the DVB tree before, but got erased by the switch to the new saa7146 core.

(Just like the i2c problems with some frontends -- it's likely an saa7146 i2c subsystem issue, we need to find out...)

I'd be happy if someone could clearify and maybe give us a
dvb-kernel status update.
I hope I could clarify this. If you want to stay with the DVB driver, no problem. But the dvb-kernel driver will be present in the 2.6.x kernel series, so you should give it a try and test it probably.

In addition, is there any need for using kernel > 2.4.18 for
the DVB driver or the 2.4-compat dvb-kernel driver?
I'm testing the dvb-kernel driver with "build-2.4" on a RedHat 7.3 2.4.18-3 kernel that came with my distribution. In other words: no, you don't need a kernel > 2.4.18 for dvb-kernel.

And I've use DVB with that kernel, too.

Is there any good reason for using a 2.5 kernel for dvb-kernel
and not use the 2.4-compat stuff?
No. All necessary stuff has been backported by me (ie. the modules videodev.o, video-buf.o, v4l1-compat.o, v4l2-common.o) and is there. You don't need to use a 2.5.x kernel.

If there is I certainly could get another kernel, but if there
isn't it seems easier to stay with the standard packages.
You don't need to switch, but please read the instructions for "build-2.4" carefully.

/ragge
CU
Michael.