[linux-dvb] Re: New Nova-T errors

On Thursday 14 August 2003 9:03 am, you wrote:

Hi Ed :)

> Can someone please confirm that these ber numbers are way too high for
> decent reception.

I'm afraid not - I have an old Nova-T (grundig 29504) and can successfully get
a clean picture with a ber as high as 10000 ... once you get to 15000 or so,
the Uncorrectable Errors (unc's) start to creep in, as shown by MPEG
artefacts on-screen and audio squeaks and pops..

I live about 25 miles from the transmitter (Winter Hill in the northwest), and
am using a cheap, half-broken 7-element antenna, but inside and sitting on
top of the monitor :) I'm amazed I get any signal at all, to be honest.

If I position the aerial carefully, I can get the BER on the BBC ONE mux down
to about 100...

> However, there is one slight gremlin here, BBC ONE which has the
> lower error rate won't play at all nicely through mplayer,

Strange, the main BBC mux is the only one I can get with any reliability
simply due to signal strengths...

> however, ITV 1
> which has substantially higher error rates plays "OK".  (OK means that the
> picture and sound both look fine, but to my ear there are slight hiccups in
> the sound which might be because of unfixed errors in the audio stream?)

A pity, since there's nothing on ITV1 you'd ever want to see :)

> So this one plays really poorly
>
> mm dvbstream # tzap -r "BBC ONE"

My own hunch is the driver for the TDA frontend doesn't report the ber/unc
properly... but I suppose if your standalone decoder works fine.... :/

> I think that there are other problems here though, because my full featured
> card has ber numbers of "0" (or occasionally "1")

<nod> That's what I'd expect living near the mighty Crystal Palace with a
rooftop aerial...

> Please, any thoughts really appreciated!

I think you're just jinxed :) Remind me never to buy any 2nd hand electronics
gear from you ;)))

Cheers,
Gavin.