[linux-dvb] Re: Hauppauge Nova-T Problems

Hmm, OK, well I tried this card in my other PC which has a nasty via chipset
and dual P3 processors, but a 2.4.20 kernel, and after playing just a single
channel (without sound) it appears that things are OK there.  Obviously
would need to check a couple of channels and sound sync to be sure
everything was absolutely fine, but, it does suggest a hardware issue with
my p4p800 based machine... (ie the original machine which wasn't working)

So, ripped out the 2.4.22 gs based kernel and tried a 2.4.22-ac kernel
instead (I seem to need a post .21 kernel to get the hard disk and other
hardware supported).  This works "better", in that now there is no picture
breakup at all, and mplayer is not complaining about broken frames, etc.
However, the picture is now jerky, it plays smoothly for a few frames, then
hiccups, then plays smooth for a bit longer.  Appears to be 1-2 hiccups a
sec giving a kind of jerky progress to moving objects.  Sound is out of sync
as well.

However, some channels do now seem to be OK.

This was just a two minute test, and overall the -ac kernel does not seem to
be acting very responsively so there could well be something else going on.
Will try it with mplayer on a normal video file, etc to check that it isn't
something generally wrong with the new kernel.

I guess after that I need to start disabling the onboard hardware and see if
I can't get this card working.  But assuming that it is some kind of
corruption on the PCI bus, then are there any tips on debugging this or
preferably making things cooperate.  I tried bumping up the PCI latency on
the dvb card to 128, however, this didn't appear to make any real
difference...  Guess it's back to fiddling

Just for reference this is an Asus P4P800 board.  I don't suppose that
anyone else has one of these and could say that it works for them with a
budget card?  The full featured card works fine... (well apart from crashing
frequently...)

Thanks for all the help people have offered.

Ed W