[linux-dvb] Re: North America Setup - NTSC?

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 12:20:34PM -0700, bigsec wrote:

> I'm a newbie to the linux dvb driver, attempting to get things going
> in North America.  Right now, I have a Hauppauge Nexus DVB-S card under
> Gentoo linux.
>
> Can anyone point in the right direction for setting things up to support
> things like NTSC (and other North Americanisms)?  My current battle is
> trying to get the driver to startup/default to NTSC mode: my TV keeps
> going into a flickering mode, which I'm assuming is PAL.
>
> <aside> BTW, any obvious source changes aren't working (like setting
> to VIDEO_MODE_NTSC or other simple variables), so I figure there's something
> out there I'm missing.  A quick scan of old mailinglist threads yields
> dialogue for earlier versions of the driver. </aside>

Hm, it's difficult to test for me :-(

But if I read the firmware sources correctly, the frame_rate field
from the MPEG video stream is used to automatically switch between
PAL and NTSC (the AV7110 cannot convert PAL to NTSC, or do something
like PAL60).

The start-up mode is PAL, though, so you must first tune to a
service before you get NTSC output. It yould require some firmware
changes to change that.

So first you should test with szap and xawtv/fbtv until yu have
a picture on the computer screen. Then test TV out.

HTH,
Johannes