[linux-dvb] Re: xine support fuer linuxtv dvb driver

hallo johannes,

> > looking at the documentation is saw xine was mentioned, however, xine is
> > used in a very akward way. recent xine releases have direct support for
> > your driver and support szap-style channels.conf files. just copy your
> > channels.conf to ~ /.xine/channels.conf and specify a dvb:// mrl on the
> > command line, e.g.
> >
> > xine dvb://
> > gxine dvb://
> >
> > alternatively you can select the dvb autoplay button/menu entry to start
> > watching digital tv using xine. channel switching works using the numpad
> > pgup/pgdown (NP9 / NP3) keys to scroll through the channel osd menu and
> > pressing numpad-enter to switch to the selected channel.
> >
> > maybe the driver documentation could be updated a little here?
>
> I added it to the FAQ.

very nice - thank you :-)

> But on my first attempt to use xine it failed miserably (I needed to
> kill -9 it), just because it didn't like some of my channels.conf
> entries (generated by scan on Astra). Maybe the xine folks could
> improve their code a little.

maybe you want to send a bug report to the xine-user mailing list?

> Is there a way to reduce buffering to improve channel switching speed?

well, reducing buffers is a bad idea imho as it will hurt performance,
especially on low-end systems (i'm quite happy that xine can do dvb on
my good old pII-400 here :) ). i think it would be a much better
approach to flush buffers at the right time, this technique has also
been used to improve dvd menu reaction times in xine

> Does it also work for DVB-C and DVB-T?

apparently yes, but i cannot test that

best regards,

   guenter