[linux-dvb] Re: channels.conf updates for Australia

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 09:20:01AM +1100, Peter Urbanec wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >Peter, your Melbourne data is quite old.
> >The frequency for SBS changed 2-3 months ago from 536.5 MHz to 536.625
> >MHz. The PIDs for channel 9 changed about 1 month ago.
>
> Thanks for the updates. As you can appreciate, keeping these configs up
> to date in Australia is not easy. The broadcasters keep on changing the
> setup with an alarming frequency, especially the channel names and PIDs.
> Rescanning needs to be done by local residents - since I can't exactly
> point my antenna at a transmitter 1,000km away :-)

Peter,

That makes sense. (Sorry, I came off too negative in the quote above.)

Channel 9 seems to enjoy changing their pids regularly. I don't
understand why they would bother but it's happened a couple of times
recently. I think that ideally user software would not store the pids
but perhaps the service IDs and locate the pids by doing a scan
themselves. That's possibly too slow to do on every channel change but
the results could be cached for a limited period etc. I think I read
that there is some work going into MythTV to do this.

I'll try to submit updates to this list if the Melbourne configuration
changes again. BTW, rightly or wrongly I stripped out the extra entries
provided by the ABC and TEN where they have several services with the
same PIDs. (TEN even gives some of them the same name.)

Cheers,
Hamish