[linux-dvb] Re: Kernel OOPS

> > > And, unless there is a hardware or firmware CSA descrambler on the
> > > card, you will never be able to decrypt pay-tv in a legal way.
> > > IANAL, but I don't think that anyone can write a CSA descrambler under
> >
> > GPL.
> >
> > That's incorrect. You don't needs to implement CSA, the MPEG-2 transport
> > stream from the demodulator is physically routed through the CAM, which
> > implements CSA. Thus, it can be done in a perfectly legal way.
>
> Hm, interesting. Are you sure? Afaik the CSA is implemented in the AV7110
> of the full-featured cards. So I would have expected that CSA has to be
> implemented in the driver of the budget cards, not in the CAM.
> Maybe I'm wrong.

Pretty sure; by my reading (and Robert's I think) of CENELEC EN50221, you feed
an encrypted stream to the CAM module, and it outputs a decrypted stream. The
CAM is treated as a "black box"; you just send control signals at it to
choose which PIDs to decode etc... well, I'll find out if who is right in a
few days :)

Incidentally (for those of us in the UK), I just found a company that is
moving back into the encrypted DVB-T market: http://www.topuptv.com

Specifically from their site: "IDTV – is an Integrated Digital Television that
has the set top box already built in and that means the TV can receive the
Freeview channels. Most of the IDTV’s do not have a viewing card slot but
have a “Common Interface” slot for the special Top Up TV “CAM”. The Top Up TV
Viewing Card then fits into the “Conditional Access Module” (“CAM”). There a
few TV’s that have been made with a viewing card slot built in and so please
check your instruction manual to see whether your TV has this feature or
not."

I wonder how long it'll be before we start seeing DVB-T cards with CI
interfaces in the UK....