[linux-dvb] Re: Kernel OOPS

On Monday 08 March 2004 22:36, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> From: "Oliver Endriss" <o.endriss@gmx.de>
> > > People have invested real money into these full featured DVB cards
> > > and just don't want to throw them away.
> > > Plus, there just isn't any reasonable alternative
> >
> > Full-featured ack. ;-)
>
> Full-featured cards are "legacy hardware", they have no future. Thus,
> future looking development should be centered around _current_ hardware,
> and it has become quite obvious that so-called "budget" cards are a much
> better solution, because they are cheap and allow much more flexibility
> when it comes to handling the incoming data, simply because that's all done
> in software.

Well, this has been discussed before. More than enough, imho.
Even 'current' hardware will be outdated soon...

> > And, unless there is a hardware or firmware CSA descrambler on the card,
> > you will never be able to decrypt pay-tv in a legal way.
> > IANAL, but I don't think that anyone can write a CSA descrambler under
> GPL.
>
> That's incorrect. You don't needs to implement CSA, the MPEG-2 transport
> stream from the demodulator is physically routed through the CAM, which
> implements CSA. Thus, it can be done in a perfectly legal way.

Hm, interesting. Are you sure? Afaik the CSA is implemented in the AV7110
of the full-featured cards. So I would have expected that CSA has to be
implemented in the driver of the budget cards, not in the CAM.
Maybe I'm wrong.

Oliver