[linux-dvb] Re: Kernel OOPS

From: "Oliver Endriss" <o.endriss@gmx.de>
> Hm, interesting. Are you sure? Afaik the CSA is implemented in the AV7110
> of the full-featured cards. So I would have expected that CSA has to be
> implemented in the driver of the budget cards, not in the CAM.
> Maybe I'm wrong.

These are two different things. Remember that some receivers only come with
a smart card slot, i.e. they have a "builtin CAM". In those, the firmware
implements the algorithm which generates the key pairs (64 bits = 8 bytes),
with which the MPEG-2 transport stream is decrypted using CSA. The firmware
could then write this key pair to the corresponding AV7110 registers and
have it decrypt the transport stream _without_ any CAM!

But when you have a CAM, it will implement the CSA.

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach
e-mail: robert_s@gmx.net