[linux-dvb] Re: Kernel OOPS

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 00:54, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> On Monday 08 March 2004 22:36, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> > From: "Oliver Endriss" <o.endriss@gmx.de>
> > >
> > > Full-featured ack. ;-)
> >
> > Full-featured cards are "legacy hardware", they have no future. Thus,
> > future looking development should be centered around _current_ hardware,
> > and it has become quite obvious that so-called "budget" cards are a much
> > better solution, because they are cheap and allow much more flexibility
> > when it comes to handling the incoming data, simply because that's all done
> > in software.
>
> Well, this has been discussed before. More than enough, imho.
> Even 'current' hardware will be outdated soon...
Maybe exactly this this the most important thing. Think about not supporting or fixing
any kind of driver because the Hardware may be outdated soon.

Ever thought of ISA Plug&Play support in the Linux Kernel? Why it is still there?
Haven't seen a board with ISA slots for a long time now - but - there are still people
using the Linux Kernel on machines which offer isa slots and isa plug'n'pray :)

I upset about myself not to have enough knowledge for developing kernel driver and/or
TS/PES conversions. Maybe i have to improve this someday :)

cu
mws