[linux-dvb] Re: Kernel OOPS

From: "Klaus Schmidinger" <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de>
> Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> > Full-featured cards are "legacy hardware", they have no future.
>
> But they are very widely used _now_, and will be as long as they
> physically live. I don't think that people are going to throw away their
> full featured cards just because some people say "they have no future"...

Noone said that anyone should throw anything away. I clearly stated the
future-looking development should be focused on _current_ technologies.
E.g. if you have to make a "hack" to expand function to other cards, make
that hack for the _legacy_ cards, not for current technology.

> I'd really like to see a new, full featured, DVB card come onto the
> market that does away with all the shortcomings of the TT design,
> has a better OSD and digital audio output. If such a new card
> would work with the LinuxDVB driver I'd by several of them in a
> heartbeat. Unfortunately, the hardware manufacturers don't seem
> to like useful solutions... :-(

They don't like making products that don't sell. STB cards are too
expensive and to inflexible. A modern STB (aka "full-featured") card would
have to feature:

- HDTV MPEG-2 hardware decoding
- H.264/AVC hardware decoding
- WMV9 HD hardware decoding
- DVI/HDMI/HDCP and YbPbCr video outputs
- Dolby AC-3 hardware decoding
- optical audio outputs
- common interface

Personally, I wouldn't want to pay for all this junk. Why? Because I
already _have_ paid for most of it: I have a graphics card with DVI and
MPEG-2 hardware decoding support, a sound card with S/PDIF, and a CPU with
well enough power to handle the other stuff in software.

All I need is a pure receiver card which gets me the digital data stream,
and maybe a common interface slot or two to decrypt pay-TV channels. Why
should I pay for any further capabilities, which I already have?

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach
e-mail: robert_s@gmx.net