[linux-dvb] Re: SkyStar-1, network code and section packing

Denis Fedorishenko wrote:

> I have question, maybe anyone can help in that.
> Many of my customers have SkyStar-1 card (if i am not wrong, full
> featured card), and they experiencing problem with receiving DVB/IP.
>
> Problem is, when they trying to receive stream, just by setting
> interface, it is running well at start, but suddently stopping
> receiving traffic , after while.
> There is also some feedbacks, that is stopping faster depends
> of used bandwidth (more bandwidth - more faster it stopped).
> After setting interface to promisc it is running again, but sure after
> while stopping again (even if customer leave interface in promisc
> mode).
>
> In default mode i mean -
> user: hw_sections = 1
> encapsulator: section packing turned on (max 100ms delay)
>
> If i disable section packing on encap - it is not making any sense
> when hw_sections = 1.
>
> Only one way, how i can make customer work good - it is when i turn
> off section packing, and he turn off hardware sections filter(?)(hw_sections = 0),
> but on this way i am loosing bandwidth, because of turned off section packing.

What happens with hw_sections=0 and enabled section packing?

> Is there any ideas?
> Btw, there is alternative driver
> (http://www.linux-dvb.tv/driver/index.html), who working with original Technotrend firmware,
> it is working good, only one issue - it is unstable on some hardware
> configurations, and locking up machine completely, and another issue,
> it is not updated, to work on 2.6.

The bandwidth of the bus between av7110 and PCI is quite limited
(I don't have exact numbers, but I think 10..15MBit/s). I guess you
are close to that limit, and some insufficient error handling
in the firmware causes the filter to stop when buffers are
filled up with hw_sections=1. It shouldn't happen with
hw_sections=0, though.

Johannes