[linux-dvb] Re: hdtv & dvb

From: "Hamish Moffatt" <hamish@cloud.net.au>
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:35:27PM +0100, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> > It's only broadcasting HDTV demo loops, though. But in contrast to
> > EURO1080 this service is broadcasting "true" 1080i at 59.94
> > fields/sec, whereas EURO1080 uses an uncommon 50 fields/sec.
>
> Wouldn't 50 fields/sec simply be the PAL rate?

Hmm, ok, I can see how stations who have huge archives of PAL material
might want to use 50 fields/sec HDTV for easier conversion. But EURO1080
isn't such a station, so I don't see why they chose this. In fact, most
HDTV material available today will likely be 59,94 fields/sec, so IMHO
EURO1080 made a pretty stupid decision, since they cannot easily purchase
HDTV shows e.g. from the USA and just broadcast that.

Aside from that, I don't think there is any digital HDTV standard with 50
fields/sec, while the ATSC HDTV standards exist and are well established.

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach
e-mail: robert_s@gmx.net