[linux-dvb] Re: hdtv & dvb

>Hmm, ok, I can see how stations who have huge archives of PAL material
>might want to use 50 fields/sec HDTV for easier conversion. But
EURO1080
>isn't such a station, so I don't see why they chose this. In fact, most
>HDTV material available today will likely be 59,94 fields/sec, so IMHO
>EURO1080 made a pretty stupid decision, since they cannot easily
purchase
>HDTV shows e.g. from the USA and just broadcast that.

The argument for 50Hz is: on the HDTV sets people will also like to see
50 Hz SDTV. Switching frame rate is not really nice or desirable on the
display side.

On the other hand, there is absolutely no problem in conversion between
the
60Hz and 50Hz on the TV broadcaster side for program exchange.

So EURO1080 made pretty educated decision.

>Aside from that, I don't think there is any digital HDTV standard with
50
>fields/sec, while the ATSC HDTV standards exist and are well
established.

This is only formal problem and DVB can make it at any time. MPEG has
nor problems with this.