[linux-dvb] Re: dvb card on linux

babar haq wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: Niklas Peinecke <n.peinecke@web.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:07:39 +0100
To: Subject: [linux-dvb] Re: dvb card on linux

babar haq wrote:

Hi everyone
I have been struggling to install dvb card for my satellite internet connection on linux machine. I have failed with pentamedia's pentanet. In pakistan the who only 2 cards available are pentanet and broadlogic 2030. Can some one tell me if 2030 works on linux. Or can someone suggest me a dvb card for linux and its availability.

Regards,
Babar Haq
Hi,

I have heard that www.dvbshop.tv ships to foreign countries, you could ask, if they deliver to Pakistan also. They have different cards available that work with linux, best known the TechnoTrend cards but also the Technisat Skystar2.
Thanku very much for the info. Do these cards also support up link via broadband or do they just support downlink. I cant find any linux support for technisat cards. There are so many TechnoTrend cards. Do all these cards support internet via satellite? Can you recommend a specific model for us?
Thanx in advance.
Babar
All cards I know of do only support downlink, the back channel to the provider has to be established via telephone line. AFAIK to use internet via satellite it's better to use a "budget" card, i.e. a card _without_ hardware mpeg decoder. These are the cheaper Technotrend cards and the Technisat Skystar2 and some other cards by Twinhan and others. I think they all should work fine, but you should read more on this list about "dvbnet" to learn, how to set up the connections and which cards do work best.

And yes: The Technisat Skystar2 is definitely supported by the 1.1.1 driver.

Niklas