[linux-dvb] Re: problem with 1.1.1 and VDR grab

Hello Klaus,

On 03/12/04 11:04, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

I was thinking about giving the new linux-dvb driver a try today, on
a SuSE 8.2 system with kernel 2.4.20 - but from what I see here there's
apparently so much confusion about this driver that I guess I'll rather
not waste time on this...
As long as you use a vanilla 2.4 kernel (or a kernel without any Video4Linux patches) everything should be fine. Newer kernels are always better, I don't regularly test the releases with older kernels.

As usual, if you mix kernel patches with externally compiled modules you need to be extremely carefully or you're doomed.

In the beginning, "dvb-kernel" was 2.6 only. To attract more developers and to make testing easier, the "build-2.4" port was started. Because 2.6 was regularly delayed, more and more regular development was done in "dvb-kernel" (for example Skystar and TwinHan bt8x8 drivers), so a new release with "dvb-kernel" was inevitable.

The safest way is to use 2.6.4 and apply the patches from "patches-2.6" from "dvb-kernel" CVS.

Klaus
CU
Michael.