[linux-dvb] Re: dvb-kernel/stv0299 cvs >20040224

On Saturday 13 March 2004 03:28, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> On Friday 12 March 2004 22:49, you wrote:

> > > Doing some reading of the diff between 20040224 and 20040225 i noticed
> > > some changes to accomodate for FE_CAN_INVERSION_AUTO. Now, all my
> > > channels had been pre-set with INVERSION_OFF (because the mythtv dvb
> > > stuff is kind enough to warn about unsupported features of the
> > > frontend), and when I change this to INVERSION_AUTO all works well. So
> > > i guess it's a frontend bug then..
> >
> > Aha! Its a actually a bugfix which causes this.
> >
> > Previously the stv0299 frontend driver was always doing a nasty hack for
> > inversion which I removed, because it broke tuning to low symbol rate
> > channels.
>
> And reinstated for 1.1.1, as in:
> http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/dvb-kernel/linux/drivers/media/dvb/fr
>ontends/stv0299.c?only_with_tag=LINUXTV-DVB-1_1_1
>
> So, it's intentionally broken, or just a flop?

It was reinstated because 1.1.1 didn't have auto-inversion in the driver core
for frontends which do not support it. It does now.

> > Unfortunately the side effect is that if the inversion is set
> > wrongly from the client side, it will not work.
>
> Or are you actually arguing that my inversion setting is wrong to begin
> with?

Well, in all my tests, I've tried INVERSION_OFF, INVERSION_ON, and
INVERSION_AUTO. INVERSION_OFF/INVERSION_ON are passed directly through to the
driver, and work as expected for me. INVERSION_AUTO works fine as well. And
I've had no other complaints about inversion.

Previously the code flipped the inversion on every tune step attempt, so you
could have specified absolutely anything, and it would have worked on high
symbol rate channels. This, as I said, broke low symbol rate channels (for me
at least) as they're far more sensitive.

> One other point, you seem to ignore the already existing coding styles when
> tabs is evaluated, please correct, as the code becomes rather ugly.

Does it? It looks fine to me... which editor are you using?