[linux-dvb] Re: Installing drivers into 2.6 kernel

Michael Hunold wrote:

Hello,

On 17.03.2004 19:42, lamikr wrote:

How can I install dvb drivers to 2.6 kernel after building them succesfully.
I know that I can load the drivers by going into DVB source directory and running "insmod.sh load"
but I would like to get these drivers loaded automatically (instead of the default ones used in 2.6.3)
by defining settings into /etc/modprope.conf

I have a plenty of *.ko files in build-2.6 directory but kernel have them in a compressed
*.ko.gz format under directory

Do you use a kernel.org kernel or a Mandrake one?
Is this "modules are gzipped" option a standard selectable option?

I am using Mandrake kernels all of them have ko files gzipped. But I think they have not made any special modifications
for the DVB sources compared to the kernel.org kernel.

I do not know is it a selectable option in the kernel config whether one wants .ko files to be gzipped or has mandrake
done something for them.

Anyway, here is the list of DVB files I have under my kernel:
(It does not contain following modules which are available in the dvb-cvs: mt352.ko, nxt6000.ko, saa7146.ko, saa7146_vv.ko, ttusb_dec.ko)

./b2c2/skystar2.ko.gz
./bt8xx/bt878.ko.gz
./bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko.gz
./dvb-core/dvb-core.ko.gz
./frontends/alps_tdlb7.ko.gz
./frontends/alps_tdmb7.ko.gz
./frontends/at76c651.ko.gz
./frontends/cx24110.ko.gz
./frontends/dst.ko.gz
./frontends/grundig_29504-401.ko.gz
./frontends/grundig_29504-491.ko.gz
./frontends/mt312.ko.gz
./frontends/sp887x.ko.gz
./frontends/stv0299.ko.gz
./frontends/tda1004x.ko.gz
./frontends/ves1820.ko.gz
./frontends/ves1x93.ko.gz
./ttpci/budget-av.ko.gz
./ttpci/budget-ci.ko.gz
./ttpci/budget-core.ko.gz
./ttpci/budget-patch.ko.gz
./ttpci/budget.ko.gz
./ttpci/dvb-ttpci.ko.gz
./ttpci/ttpci-eeprom.ko.gz
./ttusb-budget/dvb-ttusb-budget.ko.gz

Should I just compress all *.ko files to *.ko.gz and replace the original ones with the new ones under /lib/modules/2.6.3-4.tmb.1mdk/kernel/drivers/media/dvb?

Mixing in-kernel and CVS driver module files is crying for problems. Make sure you replace *all* modules accordingly.
I am not 100% sure to which subdirectory will mt352.ko, nxt6000.ko, saa7146.ko, saa7146_vv.ko, ttusb_dec.ko belong to?
Would following list be correct?

./frontends/mt352.ko
./frontends/nxt6000.ko
./frontends/saa7146.ko
./frontends/saa7146_vv.ko
./ttusb-budget/ttusb_dec.ko

re, the current Makefile sucks more or less. But don't rely on the "modules are gzipped" feature.
So you think that I should not gzip modules before copying them?

Mika