[linux-dvb] Re: nova budget / vdr breaks the driver..

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:03:48PM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 06:21:26PM +0100, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

I'm using WinTV Nova-t PCI DVB-T budget card with linuxtv-dvb-1.1.0 driver
on Linux 2.4.24.

If I run vdr (1.3.6) as the first application after the reboot, I don't get
any signal.. mplayer doesn't work either after this. mplayer complains that
dvb streaming read fails.

But, If I run mplayer as the first application after the reboot, it works
well. After running mplayer, vdr works too. And mplayer works after vdr too
in this case :)

So, If I run vdr before mplayer, it somehow breaks the driver.. I guess.
Any ideas? There's no errors in the logs. Reloading the drivers doesn't
help.
If you run vdr before mplayer, only solution is to reboot to get the dvb
card working again.. weird :)

This sounds interesting. What frontend?

saa7146: register extension 'budget dvb'.
saa7146_core: found saa7146 @ mem d0a51000 (revision 1, irq 11)
(0x13c2,0x1005).
DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T PCI).
TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T PCI adapter 0 has MAC addr = mac:goes:here
DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (Grundig 29504-401)...

The only thing I can imagine is that vdr calls some ioctl
before the frontend is fully initialized (the driver should
prevent this, of course), and then the frontend
crashes and needs to be power-cycled.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

This is reproducible for me atleast.. happens every time.

This is the output from mplayer after running vdr:

TUNER TYPE SEEMS TO BE DVB-T
code taken from dvbstream for mplayer v0.4pre1 - (C) Dave Chapman 2001
Released under the GPL.
Latest version available from http://www.linuxstb.org/
dvb_tune Freq: 554000000
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 6 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 5 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 4 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 3 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 2 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 1 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes
dvb_streaming_read, return 0 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 6 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 5 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 4 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 3 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 2 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 1 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes
dvb_streaming_read, return 0 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 6 failed with errno 11 when reading 2048
bytes

.. and gonna reboot :)

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen
^
. .
Linux
/ - \
Choice.of.the
.Next.Generation.

I updated mplayer yesterday, please check it out (I didn't flush the event queue before tuning).
BTW I had loads of problems with 1.1.x drivers, so I reverted to 1.0.x.
Thanks,
Nico