[linux-dvb] Re: nova budget / vdr breaks the driver..

On Sunday 21 March 2004 01:42, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 08:39:41PM +0000, Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> > > Using the same frontend (Grundig 29504-401), I experience this same
> > > issue as well.

> > > Happens everytime here too. From a cold boot, loading VDR first
> > > instantly makes my DVB system unusable. If I try using tzap or scan
> > > immediately afterwards, I cannot obtain any signal. Rebooting usually
> > > solves the problem.
> >
> > Interesting, it has to be a bug in the grundig driver... the frontend
> > core code won't let anything start tuning until the driver returns from
> > its initialisation routine.
> >
> > It would be interesting to know which IOCTL is breaking it... can you run
> > VDR with "strace" to see?
> >
> > something like "strace vdr 2>&1 | grep ioctl" should do it....
>
> http://nrg.joroinen.fi/strace/
>
> Hopefully I did those correctly..

Thanks. Sorry about the delay in replying; been busy.

So:
Running mplayer THEN vdr works
Running vdr THEN mplayer fails
Pre-loading the module then vdr works

Does the last one work for everyone reliably?

Could someone try the following and see if it fails:
1) Run mplayer first (so it works).
2) Wait for about 30 seconds.
3) The run VDR and see if it still works.

What this will do is wait for the frontend thread to put the frontend to
sleep, so we can see if its a problem with coming out of a soft-sleep, or if
its the initial wakeup from a complete lack of power thats a problem. My
guess is its the coming from a total lack of power thats the problem, since I
think everyone said it works reliably after a reboot. Is that right?

Unfortunately, as I don't have the grundig 29504-401 or the LSI L64781
datasheets (anyone?), so I can only guess... depending on the results of the
above, probably an extra delay in the init code of the driver will sort it.