[linux-dvb] Re: nova budget / vdr breaks the driver..

On Friday 19 March 2004 20:32, John Murdoch wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:03:48 +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > > This sounds interesting. What frontend?
> >
> > saa7146: register extension 'budget dvb'.
> > saa7146_core: found saa7146 @ mem d0a51000 (revision 1, irq 11)
> > (0x13c2,0x1005).
> > DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T  PCI).
> > TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T  PCI adapter 0 has MAC addr = mac:goes:here
> > DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (Grundig 29504-401)...
>
> Using the same frontend (Grundig 29504-401), I experience this same issue
> as well.
>
> > > The only thing I can imagine is that vdr calls some ioctl
> > > before the frontend is fully initialized (the driver should
> > > prevent this, of course), and then the frontend
> > > crashes and needs to be power-cycled.
> > >
> > > Can anyone else reproduce this?
> >
> > This is reproducible for me atleast.. happens every time.
>
> Happens everytime here too. From a cold boot, loading VDR first instantly
> makes my DVB system unusable. If I try using tzap or scan immediately
> afterwards, I cannot obtain any signal. Rebooting usually solves the
> problem.

Interesting, it has to be a bug in the grundig driver... the frontend core
code won't let anything start tuning until the driver returns from its
initialisation routine.

It would be interesting to know which IOCTL is breaking it... can you run VDR
with "strace" to see?

something like "strace vdr 2>&1 | grep ioctl" should do it....