[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-CI question

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> I've had to write all this horrendously complicated buffering code in order to
> support the CAM link level interface in the kernel; i.e. taking the
> multiplexed packet fragments from multiple connection IDs/slots and
> reassembling them into full packets. This means the code is quite quite
> nasty; one buffer per connection id PER slot, combined with some complex
> locking.
>
> I've just thought: why don't I just return the fragments, and expect the
> userspace code to do the defragmentation. Then I could have just two buffers
> for each CI slot, and virtually no complexity.
>
> What do you think? It means it wont work with existing apps until they
> implement the packet re-assembly code... but thats not exactly hard to do in
> userspace. I was going to revamp the DVB CI API a bit anyway (all changes
> will have to be agreed by everyone naturally), so I could easily add a new
> "CI interface type" for this.

If it's not hard to do in userspace, why is it so hard in the driver?
Why should every application implement this by itself? I'd say this should
be done by the driver, and the applications shall exchange complete TPDU's
with the driver. Or did I misunderstand this and you're talking about something
completely different?

Klaus