[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-CI question

On Friday 26 March 2004 15:26, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> From: "Andrew de Quincey" <adq_dvb@lidskialf.net>
>
> > On Friday 26 March 2004 15:14, Peter Urbanec wrote:
> > > How about adding another layer? Take all this from the driver, but
> > > provide a library implementation that applications can dynamically link
> > > to to get the reassembly for free. That way you get the benefit of both
> > > worlds. You keep the driver simple and the application developer
>
> doesn't
>
> > > have to reinvent the wheel.
> >
> > Yeah, I agree, thats *exactly* the way to do it.
>
> And I thought that's exactly what the Linux-DVB API is all about!? I.e. to
> provide a framework as well as all the _common_ non-hardware specific code,
> so that for each individual piece of hardware only a minimum driver,
> ideally a "Hardware Abstraction Layer" (HAL) is required. The API then
> provides all the "mid-level" code (e.g. tuning control, satellite equipment
> control, common interface), and the individual applications then take
> advantage of high-level APIs and do _not_ have to re-implement everything.
>
> But according to Klaus' comments, the API is currently far from that...?

There are libraries about which do some of the work, but they all differ in
functionality. Someone needs to pull all the features from each together into
a single mid-level library.

I ended up re-writing everything in user space from scratch for my company's
applications. Unfortunately this kinda precludes me from writing the above
mid-level library.