[linux-dvb] Re: is two DVB cards possible?

Hamish Moffatt wrote:
On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 01:53:53AM +0100, Darren wrote:
I'm trying to run two Nebula cards, I can get data off both cards when
they are used at different times. However, if I try to run both cards at
the same time I get the following error, when I start the second card.

"server: bind: Address already in use"

Does that message occur when you load the modules or start some software
to actually use the card? What software are you running to "start" the second card?

Is it dvbstream by any chance? Looks like both instances of that would
try to use the same TCP/UDP ports, which would give you the above error
message. I don't know what the fix would be for that.
This message is probably from dvbstream - v0.5 includes an "incoming telnet server" (based on SVDRP) that always listens on the same port. So a second instance would fail.

I never really developed this interface, so it is now disabled in the current CVS version of dvbstream. But it would be trivial to add an option to dvbstream to allow the user to specify this port on the command-line.

If you use "dvbstream -o" to save the stream to a file, then there is no problem running multiple instances with different cards. If you use RTP streaming, use the -i and -r options to change the IP address and port for the second instance.

Regards,

Dave.