[linux-dvb] bttv crashes 2.6.4 [was: Fedora Core 1 / TwinHan DVB-T installation]

Hi Michael,

>> I'm trying to get my TwinHan (VisionPlus) DVB-T card working under
>> Fedora
>> Core 1, using Axel Thimm's latest 2.4.22 kernel.
>
> 2.4.22 is fairly old. Can you update to 2.4.25?

It's a bit of a long story, but to keep it short: I couldn't get my MythTV
box working with DVB, so I've decided to go for a frontend/backend setup.
I've moved the DVB card to my main server, which is RHL9. FC1 seemed a
logical progression for this box, but I've come to realise that's not
necessarily the case.

Now I'm back to Gentoo on this machine (as I know Gentoo a little better)
with a 2.6.4 kernel. The trouble is, modprobe bttv still locks up the
machine.

>> When I modprobe bttv, the machine locks up, regardless of which options
>> specify.
>
> Locking-up under 2.4 is caused by an incorrect or unset "card" option
> most of the time. Are your sure you specified "card=0x71" (or
> "card=0x68")?

I was (and am) using "modprobe bttv card=0x68 i2c_hw=1".

>> I have tried downloading the latest video4linux from bytesex.org,
>> but making it fails with an error to the extent that my kernel doesn't
>> support loadable modules (which sounds all wrong to me.)
>
> I don't know what "Axel Thimm's" kernel is, but using now-kernel.org
> kernels with external patchsets in general is rather delicate.

Now I'm back to a (faily vanilla, I think) 2.6.4 kernel, using the kernel
DVB drivers. This is in a PIII / Intel 440BX machine that has no sound
card - I don't know if thre are any dependencies there.

Cheers,

Jon