[linux-dvb] Re: How to load tda1004x firmware in Linux 2.6

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been tearing my hair out over this for about six hours now,
trying
> to figure out why I can't get my Nova-t card working with kernel
2.6.6.
> It worked fine under 2.4.22, but a lot has changed since then and I
> can't find any docs about how to get this going under 2.6.
>
> I compiled everything that came with the kernel as modules, and when I
> load everything it seems to work okay, but unlike 2.4.22 I don't get
any
> messages about finding a card when I load the tda1004x module.  I
assume
> it's because it's not loading the firmware, but I can't for the life
of
> me figure out how to do this.  There are no error messages (like file
> not found) so I don't even know whether this is the problem.  I
finally
> worked out that I have to enable hotplug support for external modules
> before I get a firmware directory in /sys/class, but there's only a
> 'timeout' file in there and the modprobe command finishes instantly
with
> nothing else appearing in /sys/class/firmware.
>
> I've got all the firmware files in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware, I've
tried
> all the names I can think of - tda1004x.bin, dvb-ttpci-01.fw,
> tda1004x.mc, I've tried the old version of the firmware (from 2.4.22),
> the one from linuxtv.org, the DLL from the latest PCI drivers, but
> nothing.  I've even tried copying them into /etc/dvb like they used to
> be (just in case.)
>
> I saw a post about someone running the 'makelinks' program, but when I
> do this the kernel compile bombs out with compile errors.
>
> I'm absolutely stuck now, and I'm having to resort to a barely
> functional PC running 2.4.22 just so I can use the TV card.  If anyone
> can tell me what I'm missing, please let me know - I'm getting pretty
> desperate here!

You need to compile and load budget_ci in order for the card to be
recognized.

Mattia

Are you sure this is the solution? I think something changed between
2.6.3 and 2.6.4/5. The latest versions _always_ fail to open the
firmware file whereas 2.6.3/2/1/0 load it fine. I've not been able to
find any explanation anywhere.

Cheers, Paul