[linux-dvb] Re: Fwd: Re: DEBI irq oops, crashes: kernel 2.6 &Hyperthreading unusable with DVB

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Udo Wolter wrote:

> > You might want to take a look at
> > [kernel path]/drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/av7110.c. At the end of the file
> > all possible kernel parameters are mentioned. For hw_sections it says:
> >
> > | MODULE_PARM_DESC(hw_sections, "0 use software section filter, 1 use
> > |   hardware");
>
> I have seen this comment. But I don't understand the meaning. What exactly
> is this filtering ? BTW, hw_sections=0 seems to be more stable. At least
> 2.4 has been running all night recording 3 channels at once with just
> some few messages and no crash. Next night I'll test this modules option
> with 2.6.6rc3.

Ok, it is also more stable with 2.6.6rc3. I haven't made it yet to
switch all IRQs to edge triggered (how to do that ? Is there a HOWTO
for the APIC-IRQ-stuff ?), but with noapic I have all IRQs at XT-PIC.
It seems to work right now, but sometimes  I still have DEBI and
GPIO irq oops messages. But not as much as before. Recording of 3
channels at once also is fine right now. I'll try to let it run
for some time. Load is slightly higher but not much.

BTW, letting it run with 2.4.26 and the 1.1.1 dvb drivers/vdr 1.2.6
the picture became crappy at some point. It was still recording but
only destroyed picture & sound. vdr 1.2.6 also has the same problem
with 2.6.6rc3: it just stopped recording so I switched to vdr 1.3.6,
which seems to work.

For me all of these problems must have something to do with the SMP
routines. Without SMP (no hyperthreading, just one CPU) everything
runs fine but slow. Even if some others said that it worked for them,
for me there are definetly problems with SMP & dvb-ttpci.

Any more hints or help ? Thanx !

Mermgfurt,
		Udo

--