[linux-dvb] Re: [OT] Reality

Brad Campbell wrote:

I am worried that continued exposure to lossy compression (video and audio) has the potential to alter the way our brains process sensory information as we become optimised to processing this kind of input.

I know the original mail was not meant seriously but your words make me think.

It reminds me of something I have heard about a while ago. Perhaps you know that extensive use of stereoscopic display devices that fool the human eyes by presenting selectively a different image to them (left or right view) will cause irritations or headaches because the neural patterns inside our brain are trained to change the orientations of the eyes to allow following an object moving in 3D space. If the neural patterns assume an object is changing its Z-coordinate it tries to adjust and fails (object goes out of focus), so it retries and all these retries cause the described problems.

But the more disturbing fact is that I have heard of studies reporting that the brain will adjust to this condition and afterwards your neural system for determining distances is damaged and will probably need to be retrained. If this is true, people who depend on this ability to work right (fighter pilots) should better not play their favourite ego shooter with LCD-shutter glasses.

Personally I am as much interested in following the latest technology dance as I am in finding out what changes this brings along in the way we perceive the world around us. It should not be for the worse.