[linux-dvb] Re: Userspace Headers in cvs?

C.Y.M. wrote:

> > > Would it be possible to check in a current copy of the 2.6.x kernel
> > > Userspace headers in the cvs dvb-kernel tree?
> >
> > I don't know what you mean.
>
> I am refering to the Userspace headers located in /usr/include/linux/dvb.
> They are not quite the same as the actual Kernel Headers located in the
> dvb-kernel directory.  For example, VDR will fail to compile if you try to
> link in the headers from ./dvb-kernel/linux/include/linux/dvb/ (audio.h
> ca.h  dmx.h  frontend.h  net.h  osd.h  version.h  video.h).  From my brief
> understanding of how linux works, linux uses two sets of header files. The
> first set is for the Kernel and the second set is for Userspace (to keep a
> separation between the two).  The problem is that the version of the
> Userspace header on my box (in /usr/include/linux/dvb/) is still not as
> current as the cvs dvb-kernel headers I am using.  I hope I explained that
> correctly.

Somehow you got it mixed up.

The DVB API headers in the kernel are older. The stuff in the kernel
will be updated when the problems with i2c vs. frontend firmware loading
are resolved. And the stuff in /usr/include/linux will be updated later,
when your distribution gets a glibc built with the new kernel headers.

Meanwhile, if you want to compile bleeding edge vdr plugins you need to
copy osd.h from the driver to /usr/include/linux/dvb/. That's all.
If you say vdr doesn't compile with that, then post the actual
compiler error messages.

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index