[linux-dvb] Re: Proposal for new frontend architecture

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 07:09:11PM +0200, Holger Waechtler wrote:

> it's useful for other cards, too: usually the PLL/Synthesizer bandswitch
> and Chargepump settings are completely board-dependent and by no mean
> portable. Keeping them in the generic frontend code makes not much sense.
i would not say so.
IMHO, a "frontend" is a combination of Demod + PLL (nowadays together
in a single tin box). There is nothing configurable by the board vendor
except the I2C address.

In my eyes (and that is how i saw it in a company's proprietary code,
where it perfectly worked), a "frontend" consists of a demodulator driver,
a PLL driver, some "glue" (or call it configuration - how the demod/AGC
work together, crystal frequency, etc.) and wrapper to hold them together.

I really see no reason why this needs to depend on (and thus pollute)
a special i2c driver.

> Holger

Regards,
Wolfgang